Working installation of v1.31 in Windows?
Posted by: Luke ()
Date: May 01, 2008 02:58AM

Bonjour, hello from New Zealand :-)

I am a Pilot and IT Consultant here and have stumbled across the OpenFlyers package. Being a supporter of opensource I was very interested to try it but have been somewhat frustrated in my attempts :-(

To date I have tried to install the openflyers package under EasyPHP, WAMP, PHPTriad and a standalone installation of each server package separately. All of these have been under windows (I like Linux and manage several Linux machines but for various reasons it's easier for me to do this in my laptop under WinXP). I had quite some trouble getting PEAR and its required packages installed but finally got that sorted. Unfortunately things have not gone so well since.

In each instance I can run the install script and it will ask for language and other options fine, once that's complete however when I try to log into the operation proper (/index.php) it will not connect! No amount of trying will get it to work - other files/scripts work fine (demonstrating the AMP servers are working ok) - and there is no error message I can use to debug.

If I look at the Apache access log I find that there is no entry for the request yet if I request the about.php filefor instance, which is in the same directory, it is served to the browser ok and the request appears in the log. I've tried renaming the index.php file, just in case something in my setup was causing the problem but to no avail.

I feel as if there's something I'm missing but it's not apparent to me at this time! Perhaps someone else has had a similar issue and/or can help?

Thanks, Luke.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Working installation of v1.31 in Windows?
Date: May 01, 2008 03:06AM

Some more information - the Apache error logs show this when I try to access the index file:

[Thu May 01 15:03:05 2008] [notice] Parent: child process exited with status 128 -- Restarting.
[Thu May 01 15:03:05 2008] [notice] Apache/2.2.3 (Win32) PHP/5.2.0 configured -- resuming normal operations
[Thu May 01 15:03:05 2008] [notice] Server built: Jul 27 2006 16:49:49
[Thu May 01 15:03:05 2008] [notice] Parent: Created child process 2176
[Thu May 01 15:03:05 2008] [notice] Child 2176: Child process is running
[Thu May 01 15:03:05 2008] [notice] Child 2176: Acquired the start mutex.
[Thu May 01 15:03:05 2008] [notice] Child 2176: Starting 250 worker threads.
[Thu May 01 15:03:05 2008] [notice] Child 2176: Starting thread to listen on port 80.

I hope this helps fault-find the situation, it would seem something specific in the index.php file is killing Apache.

Thanks, Luke.

Posted by: claratte ()
Date: May 01, 2008 08:01AM

Hi,

Did you try to add some "die('dummy');" lines in the index.php to localize the error?

For information, I use windows and it works fine ;-)

Christophe LARATTE
OpenFlyers manager

Date: May 01, 2008 11:49AM

Hi Christophe, thanks for your response!

I am not a programmer (more a network integrator) so not very good at this sort of thing but I Googled php & die to see what it was about :-)

A most useful tool which has enabled me to narrow down where the index.php script crashes:

It is ok up till this line:

if($userSession->authenticate($login,$password,$menu))

If I put a die line in prior to that it exits with a message, after that and it crashes Apache (with no message). I'm not sure if this is useful but I put in the following to see what would happen:

if($userSession->authenticate($login,$password,$menu)) or die ("Error" . " File: " . __FILE__ . " on line: " . __LINE__);

and got:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_LOGICAL_OR in C:\Program Files\EasyPHP 2.0b1\www\openflyer\index.php on line 101

Now I don't know if that tells you anything or not - possibly I've introduced an error by doing something I know nothing about - but I couldn't find a great deal that helped me work it out from there.

If you've any comments I'd be happy to try other things out, I saw you had a working Windows install so there's hope for me yet!

Thanks, Luke.

Date: May 01, 2008 03:01PM

First, you should change the configuration of your php.ini file in order to display errors (it avoids the "die ("Error" . " File: " . __FILE__ . " on line: " . __LINE__)"winking smiley

Second, the error you got is an error created by your modification (so useless for the understanding of the real trouble ;-)

Either you got an error with the modification of your php.ini file, either you have to add die('dummy') command in others files called at the wrong line (for example, here, you have to go to the authenticate function in the UserSession.php file and add the stop command there.

Christophe LARATTE
OpenFlyers manager

Date: May 02, 2008 11:03AM

Christophe, I spent some time today attempting to resolve the error. After a time I found it would go through the entire script ok until it got the very end after which it would crash again.

In the time-honoured tradition of MS Windows I thought I'd try a fresh install on another machine (effectively the same as re-loading windows :-), this time it worked! So I'm still not sure at this stage why the previous installation did not work but will try and spend a little time on it in case someone else runs into the same problem.

Now not everything has gone smoothly I have to say - unfortunately I get this sort of thing on the booking page:

Invalid hour value '24'Invalid hour value '24'Invalid hour value '24'Invalid hour value '24'Invalid hour value '25'Invalid hour value '25'Invalid hour value '25'Invalid hour value '25'Invalid hour value '26'Invalid hour value '26'Invalid hour value '26'Invalid hour value '26'Invalid hour value '27'Invalid hour value '27'Invalid hour value '27'Invalid hour value '27'Invalid hour value '28'Invalid hour value '28'Invalid hour value '28'Invalid hour value '24'Invalid hour value '24'Invalid hour value '24'Invalid hour value '24'Invalid hour value '25'Invalid hour value '25'Invalid hour value '25'Invalid hour value '25'Invalid hour value '26'Invalid hour value '26'Invalid hour value '26'Invalid hour value '26'Invalid hour value '27'Invalid hour value '27'Invalid hour value '27'Invalid hour value '27'Inval etc.

I've not gone looking for the problem yet, (could be something to do with my pear packages?) it's getting quite late here. However I hope to have a little time to spend on it tomorrow and will report if I find anything, thought I'd let you know what progress has been made up 'till now :-)

Regards, Luke.

Date: May 04, 2008 07:32PM

Yes, 24 is an invalid hour value ;-)

Check in the admin area the start time and end time to display in the calendar (in UTC).

On the 2.0 release, a new zealand club has discovered a bug about time: http://bts.openflyers.org/view.php?id=988

I'm working on it.

Maybe, there is a similar bug on the 1.3.1. But, if it's real, I will not fix the bug on the 1.3.1 release (no more update)...

Christophe LARATTE
OpenFlyers manager

Date: May 05, 2008 09:25AM

Christophe, thanks for the info re the NZ Club, I suspect they're not too far away from me then :-)

I was just coming here to report on my findings from the brief time I had to work on things over the weekend.

It turns out that it simply didn't like the PEAR date version I'd d/loaded (Date.php,v 1.89) and when I replaced that with the version from your pear pool it performed as expected. So no bug really although it's probably worth mentioning the potential problem with that version at some point.

I've not done a great deal else at this stage but I'm keen to look at v2.0 once I'm happy with how this works. Also I will try out a Linux install for interest & will report how things go for that - probably on Mandriva as it happens.

Thanks for your time and very prompt responses, hopefully my hiccups will be useful for someone else to avoid similar problems!

Regards, Luke.

Date: May 05, 2008 10:04AM

You're welcome!

Christophe LARATTE
OpenFlyers manager

Posted by: TerryL ()
Date: May 05, 2008 10:33AM

Hi Luke, I am the other NZer Christophe referred to. I'm in Chch and have been struggling to understand how to configure OpenFlyers, but I'm almost there. I'm a member of the Chch - Air NZ Flying Club. Feel free to email me on terryl@slingshot.co.nz
Regards
Terry

Date: May 05, 2008 11:38AM

Luke try to install OF 1.3.1 which is clearly easier to configure than the 2.0 release.

The 2.0 release is a bit hard to configure partly because there is no english tutorial and documentation. We're looking for help to feed the following wiki pages for that: http://wiki.openflyers.org/index.php/Main_Page#Help_online

Christophe LARATTE
OpenFlyers manager

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2008 11:38AM by claratte.

Date: May 06, 2008 07:57AM

Hi Christophe, actually it's the 1.31 release I've been working with!

I'm keen to try 2.0 but it for some reason couldn't get 1.31 to upgrade (which I understand is the correct path?). I wonder if you have a URL to simply d/load the beta complete - I couldn't seem to find one?

I'd be very happy to contribute to the wiki - my french is very poor but I think with some time to figure it out, and to work on OF 2.0 itself, I'd be able to help a little.

Terry, I figured you were from the ANZ club :-) I'll drop you a line, I spend a lot of time at WG and am thinking about OF for there.

Rgds, Luke.

Date: May 06, 2008 12:11PM

There is no URL to download the 2.0 release. Because we're still working on it.

But you may try it (freely) by asking us to create an access for your flying club (like for Terry's club).

Otherwise, you may download it on our SVN repository (see the wiki for more details).

For the english documentation, you needn't to speak french ;-)

Christophe LARATTE
OpenFlyers manager

Date: May 06, 2008 04:38PM

Hi Cristophe, thanks for the info, I'd thought there was an upgrade path somehow but looks like I misunderstood.

Since I do a lot of my computer work away from the 'net the online version won't work for me so I need to get it onto my machine. I had a look at SVN but from what I could see it (obviously) needs subversion which - I think - is Linux only? At least it appeared that way but I'll look more closely in a few minutes. I could run Linux in VMware on the laptop I guess...

Actually I wish I did speak/read french better, I'd like to read some of Zola's works in the original, but the old High School method of teaching just didn't work for me :-(

I'll check out the SVN thing now.

Rgds, Luke.

Date: May 06, 2008 05:06PM

Ok, d/loaded tortoise & on my way - slowly :0)

Rgds, Luke.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2008 05:07PM by Luke.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.